Thursday, December 2, 2010

Ms. Keri Gave You Raunchy and Makes no Excuses For It.



So by now most of the fired masses on these Internets have jumped on Keri Hilson for her recently released video. I dropped comments too because I don't think it was a good video. Raunchy yes but not a good video IMO. But with that said the over the top back lash is a bit comical to me. Especially at a time when so many folk are picking sides between Nicki and Kim but Keri is the villain for her wild expression?

If you haven't seen Keri's "controversial" video check it outafter the jump with my full thoughts on the issue.




\

I'm hearing that Keri is looking for attention, she's stooped so low, why she have to do this and the oh so classic "She's trying to be like Bey". Now, I'm no female so perhaps y'all view this stuff differently but here's my take on these views I just listed and more.

While she's no Beyonce or Alicia Keys, Keri Hilson doesn't need attention through this. Why is it everytime a female goes extra on the sex that shes looking for attention. Rihanna wanted attention, Ciara wanted attention, Bey was nervous that younger girls were coming for her so she wanted more attention. After awhile the repeating record makes no sense. Will it get a lil media buzz on the internets? Yeah but more album sales? No, and they know that.

Can we be honest with ourselves for a moment? This video was pure Raunchy, hump and pump status. And you know what, its as normal as any other part of the human make up. Who reading this can say they never were in that mood, never in a "I don't give fu#%" sexual mood? Keri spoke up with Angie Martinez today and she didn't back down from the negative backlash.


She's right. I know personally and most will admit that her represented emotions are real and legit. So to denounce them is very disingenuous.

Ok, so you agree with that but then you say "But that's for the privacy of your home behind closed doors." Yeah that sounds right but this isn't your or my 9 to 5 life. She's an entertainer and I dare you to name a major entertainer that doesn't expose their personal side in one way or another through there work. We know Madonna took heat, Janet's taken heat, Lil Kim, Da Brat, Aaliyah, across the genres it's a fact that Female just can't 100% win when it comes to sex.

Below see Keri in 2008 with another side of Sexy & Her earlier uncensored Interview speaking on the Video concept. The Angie Martinez Interview will be added soon.





“Perez, I don’t want to be held and caressed every night. Sometimes, I do want to be f*cked. You want it good sometimes. I’m talking about one man in the relationship, not being a slut or a whore or being paid to do things. It is racy but I can’t allow other people or the media to dictate what I can or can not do. TLC didn’t do that, Josephine Baker didn’t do that, Janet didn’t do that, Madonna didn’t do that. We can’t approach art from a fear perspective. You have to be fearless and stand for what you believe in. I’m a freak, it’s no surprise. I’ve been a freak in other songs. I’ve been a freak in other videos and we should make no apologies.”
-Keri Hilson

It was a bad video not because it was dirty and over the top sexual. It was just a badly done video, dance wise, look wise it just could have been executed better to get that dirty vibe done right.

In spite of that Keri owned her decision 100%. No claims of a video being leaked or some P.C excuse for what happened. Like it, hate it but she's riding with her intentions. Entertainer....not a political figure or social leader. She's just an entertainer.

To end with a degree of context the following quote was written about Bey when The 1st Lady said Bey was role model to her daughters.

In her videos from her recent album "I Am...Sasha Fierce", Beyonce created a firestorm with "Single Ladies" but in the video, she shows off suggestive moves such as her crotch grind and hip thrusts. The newest video for her single "Ego" starts with Beyonce stroking her breasts to leg spreads and more hip thrusts.

Beyonce is a great role model to show teens how to become successful, while creating their own brand. She knows how to carry herself, and she avoids the fighting and battling with other stars by keeping her mouth shut. For young girls however, parents should look elsewhere for a good influence.

Can it ever be done perfectly right? I guess it's another issue of personal taste and view point.

5 comments:

Je'Tara said...

Eh still don't like it and still feels she wants better album sales. Their is always a reasoning as to why people do things and the way the music industry is going, sex is selling big time and she is just jumping on the bandwagon.

I don't like the song or the video but Keri is very talented so I expected better from her. Which is how most felt. She was the one who didn't play up the sex appeal but still saw success and well now look at what she is doing. I expected this type of video from Ciara not her. She goes from Turnin Me On and Pretty Girl Rock to Fuck Me. Naw girl have a seat. Oh and I could never compare her to the Queen Bey because she wouldn't dare wear something raunchy or do those dance moves. Bey is classy sexy.

I'on know what she was thinking but I don't see it for this album.

NightFall914 said...

@Je
Yopu bring up an interesting point. I dont compare Keri and Bey at all but if you want to be honest. This is one video for Keri. Bey has better choreography, better songs just a better overall package BUT sex is sex. I know not to battle a Bey fan but if you take all bias out of it Bey's done Waaaaay more raunchy dancing and gesturing then Keri by a mile. If you spread your legs and thrust your crouch at me it doesnt matter if its in an alley or on the stage of MSG. Past the lights, bells and whistles its the same. I say that speaking not artistically but as a guy.

I don't argue that the vid wasn't bad I just think some of the opinions are hypocritical in light of the entire entertainment industry.

** Great Reply Je' :) **

@Mr.TramueL
Yeah to mew its less about the vid and just keep things balanced. Ok she made a raw ass "Fu** Me" video. No biggie. lol.

Fran said...

The video absolutely SUCKED!!!! I don't have a problem it being raunchy. I've seen worse. Sex sells. If that's what works, fine, just do a good job at it. I kinda feel like the raunch level was turned way up to distract from her horrible dancing. The concept sucked. She said that she was with her friends in a room yelling out all the stuff they wanted to tell guys. Why not use THAT as your video concept instead of this witch hunt for some dude using has-been celebs (including nearly 40 yr old, mother of 4 Faith Evans cocking a gun and talking hard o_O).

Nik said...

@ Je'Tara: Beyonce wouldn't do anything raunchy? We thinking of the same Beyonce? Lol. Just because she's married and adopted a new personality she named Sasha Fierce doesn't mean she isn't raunchy and slutty like the rest of 'em.

More power to them all. We give attention to attention whores who publish sextapes for fame and fortune. Why does everyone have something to say when a Black woman does it? What's worse is why Black women tear each other down for playing up sex, but build up the other races?!

I agree with Frankie, the video concept just sucked in general and that's the only crime I personally think she's guilty of!

Je'Tara said...

Hey we don't count video phone! That was the raunchiest video she did but however(Michael Kyle voice) Bey stays feminine with it. But this is about Keri so I will stick to the subject. I remember reading an interview from her last year and miss jia found the exact quote I was thinking about when I saw this mess.

“(Keri Hilson, Complex Mag, 2009) I don’t want to be oversexed! I don’t want to sell sex, I want to sell music. I want to inspire others, I don’t want to be one of those people who’s always throwing their body at the masses. What good does that do? Besides sell records. Men don’t buy records, anyway.”

This is why the video is not getting any love. It's like she is either contradicting herself, as we all do or conforming to the industry. But at the end of the day it's her choice and she can do whatever she likes. Je'Tara ain't buying the album tho.

 
Blog layout tweaked by Shade