Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Rapture, Raptors & Respect



So, it's another week of life on this planet earth. Lo and behold no planet shattering earthquake and no mass exodus of faithful followers into another realm of existence. This past Saturday as many people know was supposed to be what we of the Christian faith call the Rapture....well that's if you believed the specific teachings of certain preachers. Personally, I never subscribed to the May 21st ideas so It was really more of serious period of observation for me. The time leading up to the date in question allowed me to again view my peers as they expressed themselves concerning the upcoming Apocalypse.

To no real surprise the Internets were over flowing with "humor" and crude views on the Rapture topic. Many comical images and plays on the word rapture were popping up on blogs and tumblr sites. "Fear the Raptor", "The Raptor is Coming", etc, etc....those were cute but in addition to the jokes were those who saw this as merely another opportunity to bash the Christians. I'm not here to rally for my faith as truthfully no one disrespected me personally but on a whole I don't get the tone that overtakes so many when they log on. I have a simple Respect law. Watch your words towards Family, Friends & Faith. Those 3 F's are areas that I think as thoughtful adults you should show a a level of respect towards until your given a legit reason not to.

Is it because you can't physically see this higher power that folk degrade God. No matter what or whom you pray towards, I think it's one of the ultimate levels of tastelessness to act in such a manner. Maybe I'm just getting older and everything can't simply be excused as "jokes." When the basis of a whole faith/religion is the punchline of the joke it rarely THAT funny. That's not to mention the "Rapture" parties that were taking place to mock the the idea of what may have occurred. It kind of reminded me of Will Smith classic movie Independence Day where the people of the Invaded cities throw rooftop parties right under the Alien ships. It was fun to mock the situation until it got real. It all makes me wonder what is sacred in this society anymore. Everyone claims to "Not give a f**k." Is that true? Is existence really just one big punchline?

To all folk that matter to me I ask "What do you stand for?" "What is it that you represent?" There's never a comedic reply to that because while we all need laughter, we also need balance and respect. Don't we???

For some post May 21st Coverage hit here.

The Judgement Preacher Harold Camping Speaks

2 comments:

Goddess Intellect said...

I try to live everyday like its my last...I'm probably in most ppl's eyes a sinner, (well we are right?) I know one thing for sure, If the Lord were to return I would actually celebrate before hand...everyday on this earth is a celebration in my mind. I don't think the higher power would approve of how mentally rigid this north American/western society is...i digress
Individuals deal with death (which essentially the judgment day represents)in different ways...some may stay in denial, some get angry, some joke, some withdrawl.
I agree that as a whole, society needs to value their lives more..or just place their values on a higher plateau period...we're very scattered, too many distractions (television, depressing news stories, the media etc)
I joke around like 80% of my day but I know what is important (3 F's as you mentioned) and i stick to that. I'm not going to live in fear because some dude tells me that I am going to meet my maker, to me that is not the purpose of judgement day. Judgement day is a celebration for the death of worldy life and the beginning of life on a higher spiritual plane.
As usual I'm rambling and eating lunch...great post...love this type of post...pls do more :)

NightFall914 said...

I love lengthy feed back. This was an interesting subject and had been on my mind for a bit. Mixing of the Faith based matters and the Internets is always bound to get me talking.

 
Blog layout tweaked by Shade