Thursday, March 4, 2010

Paula Patton's drops thoughts on being Bi-Racial


Does the term “biracial” offend you? Paula Patton thinks it should. The Precious star — who is the daughter of a White teacher and an African-American — is creating a stir with some remarks on race she made during an interview in the March issue of Women’s Health Magazine.

“I find [the term biracial] offensive. It’s a way for people to separate themselves from African-Americans….a way of saying ‘I’m better than that,’” says Paula, who is expecting her first son with crooner hubby Robin Thicke this spring. “I’m black because that’s the way the world sees me. People aren’t calling Barack Obama biracial. Most people think there’s a black president….People judged me because I was light-skinned. [They'd assume] I didn’t want to be part of the black race,” she says.


Being in Hollywood I think shes sees more of career/financial effect of what blacks vs whites go through. Back on our level in though I think she is right in regards to some people. I know many mixed people who their credit NEVER had turned their backs on their blackness. In fact most are like Paula in that they consider themselves black women. Yes you should never forget all the aspects of your make up but it's true how the world does see you.

In the end I think how you are raised goes far to influence what you most identify with.

2 comments:

SinfulLyo said...

she's sure to ruffle alot of feathers with this one lol. i understand where she's coming from but i don't agree 100%. i have come across bi-racial people that "think they're better" and are only black when it's convenient to them then turn around and play becky without missing a beat. on the other hand i have two very close biracial friends that represent BOTH of their races wholeheartedly so i guess it's a case by case basis type of thing.

off topic: this woman is gorgeous and glowing! pregnancy is so beautiful. and robin thicke could knock me up anyday if he serenaded me with sex therapy :]

Nik said...

This whole topic is so ugh, people need to get over it. Dark, Light, Bright, White. In the eyes of non Blacks we're all just Black or n words!

 
Blog layout tweaked by Shade