Tuesday, June 11, 2013

When Casual Lovers Become Parents....



It's a situation that more and more folk are dealing with. It's a topic I feel strongly about yet truthfully I've come to keep my views on it to my self as to not hurt feelings. It's the new reality for many in society as it relates to the creation of family. Below is the opening piece of a weekly series about unmarried minority fathers. Check it out it's a good read . It doesn't give answers it just shares experiences......

Having spent three great (albeit tumultuous, on a personal front) years in Chicago, I was about to return to my beloved Brooklyn. Half of my stuff was packed. My moving date was two weeks away. I was scheduled to attend a wedding the following day with an on again/off again lover, whom I had dated fairly consistently when I first moved to Chicago, but now we saw each other every other week or so after having gone through a stretch of time when we had broken up and didn’t get down at all. It seemed like it’d be a chill enough road trip to go with her to her cousin’s wedding – a six-hour jaunt to Cincinnati. But she wanted to talk to me that night, the night before we left – urgently. I couldn’t understand why because we were going to be sitting in a car for six hours the following day. So I meet with her and she drops The News. I’m stunned. She was on the pill. I ask, “What do you want to do?” She says, “Oh, I’m keeping it…”

**Full Article Here**  

1 comments:

Nikks said...

I like the way he handled the situation. I wish more men and women had this frame of mind when it comes to co-parenting. It doesn't have to be difficult, I think people let their egos and feelings get in the way of how things will affect their child.

We all have to take responsibility for our actions, nothing is 100% safe when it comes to shagging. Don't shag anyone you aren't willing to parent with. That's always been my motto.

 
Blog layout tweaked by Shade